4.24.2016

Movie That Emotionally Destroyed You? | Bridge to Terabithia


Have you ever watched a movie that decimates your heart? Movie that emotionally destroyed you? You get sad and empty after watching it. You're left red-eyed and breathless. It is not because they are sad, but they creep into the crevice of your psyche, it makes you think about it for the whole day and it will live in your heart forever. It inevitably causes you to go into reflection mode and reliving the moments that made you want to kill yourself. I believe that everyone has one or two movies that makes you feel that way.
Gif via source

So, I watched 'Bridge to Terabithia' with my sister yesterday. It's a good movie, although some of it confuses me. 'Bridge to Terabithia' is a fantasy/adventure, kids/family and science fiction type of genre movie. Movie about friendship, family and the power of imagination. It's not a typical fantasy movie like Narnia, there are no talking lions or magic kingdoms. It shows us the world through the eyes of these kids, we see what they're imagining in their heads as if it's real when they start imagining their own fantastical world of Terabithia. It's based on the Katherine Patterson novel of the same name.
Image via source

It's about the Life of Jesse (Josh Hutcherson) who is sharing concern and money problems with his family, having trouble at school with bullies and had no friends. It changes when he befriends Leslie (Anna Sophia Robb), the outsider class and they begin to come really close. They create an imaginary world called Terabithia, deep in their backyard forest which is inhabited by all manner of magical creatures and spend their time together in an abandon tree house. Only accessible by swinging on an old rope over the river to their enchanted spot.
Image via source
Image via source
  Leslie teaches Jess to open his mind to every possibility and leave reality behind. Though difficulties fill their ordinary life, both of them rule as king and queen in Terabithia. Until the day the rope snaps and she falls to her death. That day, Jess was invited by his adored music trip to an art museum and he didn't ask Leslie to come along  because he wants the teacher himself. . Leslie tries to cross to Terabithia on her own, but the rope broke and she drowned in the creek. Jess denies it all point-blank, accusing his father of lying to him and runs to his bedroom. He has difficulty accepting the reality of what has happened and the next morning appears to have forgotten. At the end of the movie, he builds a bridge over a creek into Terabithia and brings his sister across the bridge, tells her she's Terabithia's new princess.

Image via source
The ending of this movie absolutely heart wrenching. I really started crying when Leslie died, as Jess completely shock throughout his friends is dead. It reminds me of myself when I lost my best friend back on 3 years ago. Other relatives called to inform me about her accident and I'm just like Jess, refuses to accept what has happened and accuse them of lying too, I thought they just joking around. It takes a few people to convince me then I just started to cry and walk back home from Viva Mall crying. I remember there are lot of people looking at me and wondered what happened. At home, I just locked myself in my bedroom and cry out loud as I can till I fall asleep. I make myself believe that she's still alive until I saw people post about her on Facebook and then started to cry again. Cry over and over again. Because of it, I didn't go to college and work almost a week. I stayed at home, locked myself in the bedroom crying. Frustrated that I couldn't back to Sabah for her funeral and she was buried on my birthday. Friends on Facebook wished birthday at the same time feel sorry to celebrate birthday at the time of grief. They keep telling me to be strong. Well, until now sometimes I'll try to make myself believe that she's still here when I miss her. Missing someone and not being able to see them is the worst feeling ever.

Gif via source
4 comments on "Movie That Emotionally Destroyed You? | Bridge to Terabithia"
  1. I agree, the feels from watching this movie though...

    I remember watching it as a kid. I feel like I'm going to watch it again, as a teen XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you cry? XD
      well, you have to watch it again Yoo xD and don't forget tissue xD

      Delete
    2. I don't cry at that time because I was like 8-9 years old, I don't understand what happened though >.<' when I watched it again, I just realized how sad this movie was. The ending gave me goosebumps somehow.

      Delete
    3. Too young to understand huh hahaha. you know what, my mom told me that when im in 4-6 yrs old i guess, I watched sad hindustan movie and i cried very hard. hahaha

      Delete